WTI, Inc. is an established privately owned business in Jefferson, GA that manufactures food ingredients for the food industry. We are looking for an energetic, self-starting person for our Research and Technology division. If you are interested in becoming an important part of what people eat every day, please apply.
WTI is looking for a hands-on scientist with proven, new product development experience and strong knowledge of chemical composition, properties, structures and reactions to create innovative products utilizing unique formulation chemistries from concept through commercialization. This position reports to our Vice President, Research and Technology.
Job Description and Activities
- Develop new, clean label, innovative functional food ingredients based on market trends and identified industry needs.
- Develop and validate novel chemistries to generate functional molecules that can be utilized as enhancing and problem-solving food ingredients.
- Develop/Formulate food-grade raw materials including powders, liquid, gels to meet specific industry standard and consumer needs.
- Investigate formulation patterns, fundamental interaction of raw substances, actual formulations and ingredients and the related standards and properties of formulation materials.
- Deeply understand processing and analytical techniques to extract and utilize functional chemistry from various food grade materials.
- Work with bench-scale and pilot-scale equipment to develop and formulate materials.
- Analyze/interpret data and provide guidance on further research taking into consideration regulatory compliance and cost-in-use limitations.
- Work with 3rd parties to develop research programs, collaborative projects or identify licensing opportunities.
- Inspire and activate idea generation for R&D.
- Build an intimate knowledge of production and delivery systems for functional food ingredients in food applications such as meat and poultry, dairy, bakery, produce, pet food, etc.
- Stay abreast on opportunities within the clean label ingredients market for the introduction of either existing or new and innovative functional food ingredients.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of timelines, resource allocations and budgets for projects assigned.
- Work closely with cross-functional team to assess and qualify new raw material vendors
Applicants MUST have
- PhD degree in Food Science with Chemistry or Biochemistry, Biotechnology
Minimum of 5 years of food industry experience.
- Strong understanding of concepts/interactions related to the study of chemical formations
- Working knowledge of USDA and FDA regulations concerning food ingredients
- Experienced in successful product launches.
- Proven, reliable self-starter, able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Patient and persistent, creative and open minded
- Communicates, in a timely manner, pertinent information regarding project status, costing, results, etc. to all stakeholders
- Strong competitive and entrepreneurial qualities that demonstrate a passion for quality and innovation
- Demonstrates sound technical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Naturally creative and curious, with a bias for action, and desire to identify novel ideas
The position is located at the WTI headquarters at 281 MLK Avenue, Jefferson, Georgia 30549.
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday-Friday, occasional weekends determined by business need
Travel: Up to 20%
Work Authorization: United States (Required)
WTI, Inc. offers excellent benefits including 401k, health insurance, and paid time off.